By the end of this module you will:
- Understand the basic building blocks of synthesis including voices, oscillators, filters, envelopes, and modulation.
- Have basic facility of Ableton’s Operator software synth
- Grasp basic harmonic theory including major/minor chords and key.
- Be able to use MIDI clips to write chord progressions.
- Have designed multiple sounds to use in your own production.
What is synthesis? It’s basically a technique of generating and then shaping sound from scratch.
A proficiency in synthesis allows you to build your own unique sound as a producer right from the very basics. Once you understand the elements of a synthesizer and how they work within the whole framework, you can apply your knowledge to almost any standard synth.
Where the money lies though, is in sticking to one synth and learning in-depth the strengths and limitations it has to offer. Just like any other instrument, each model and make of synth excels in some areas and falls short in others. These limitations force you, as a producer, to get creative.
You will make far more interesting music when you build rapport with one or two pieces of gear, rather than tasting small bites from the gear smorgasbord.
– Brian Eno – RBMA Lecture 2013